Friday, January 1, 2016

The best DIY serums and scrubs!

Welcome back! I hope everyone had an awesome holiday season and did so it with minimal stress. I know I have been busy and I can't believe how much time went by without even realizing it! I got so lazy about blogging because of how hectic the holidays have made my household. I'm so glad to be back though!!! I can't believe we are in 2016! CRAAAAZZZZZYYYYY!!!!!
Well I wanted to show you a couple of homemade serums and scrubs that I have been loving. These three things are amazing! And no, these aren't things that I tried once or twice and said "Oh, their great, I'm going to tell everyone." Absolutely not! These are my tried and true favorites that I have been doing for years now! They work and they're amazing. You see so many different varieties on pinterest but I was able to customize them to make them my favorite and my own. They are so simple and take about 10 seconds to whip up (if that) so let's get started, shall we?

Sugar lip scrub:
I love this scrub! Especially in the wintertime when it feels like i'm going through a tube of lipbalm a day. Okay, maybe that's a tad bit of an exaggeration, but seriously feel like I go through so much! I use this at night before I go to bed and it's so moisturizing. It's definantly a ride or die for me. All you need is:

  • Sugar
  • coconut oil
  • peppermint essential oil (optional)

For this I reccommend turbinado sugar. I have used plain white sugar and it'll work just fine but turbinado just works better for me. You can usually find it at your local whole foods store or you can buy it here.
Now all you have to do is mix 1 part sugar and 1 part coconut oil and combine. If you are using essential oil I would wait until it's completely combined to add it and then you only need to add a couple of drops. I usually add 4-6 but I like mine to be super pepperminty.

The great thing about this is you just put some on your finger and rub it on your dty lips for about 30 seconds. You can then rinse it off if you want or do what I do and use a wet washcloth to wipe it off. I find using the washcloth helps remove all that dead skin. Then just slap on your favorite lipbalm and you're set. I love how smooth and tingly this makes my lips feel!

Brow and lash serum:
I have always been skeptical about brow and lash serums so when I realized that you can make one and it works just as good (if not better) than some that you buy at a department store I had to give it a go. Since using this, I have noticed more volume in my eyelashes and my eyebrows seem to be a little more filled in. It did take a couple of weeks to notice though. What you need for this is:

  • castor oil
  • coconut oil
  • lavender essential oil (optional)

I mixed 1 tablespoon of castor oil, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, and 3 drops of lavender essential oil. Once it's all combine just store it in an airtight container. It's best to use this at night before bed because this could make your vision blury. (Don't worry, it's perfectly safe)

I just use a q-tip and dip it into the mixture and run it along my eyebrows, upper lashline, and my lower lashline. You can also use a spoolie or clean fingers as well. I also like to add 1 drop of lavender essential oil to my mascaras and my brow gel. It helps them last a little longer along with promoting lash and brow growth.

Sugar body scrub:
This is my favorite of all 3 of these. I absolutely saved the best for last. It's 100% customizable and there are so many varieties that you can make. To make my favorite version all you need is:


  • coconut oil
  • sugar
  • lemon essential oil

In a bowl combine 1 cup of sugar (again I prefer the turbinado sugar), 1/4 cup of coconut oil, and about 20-30 drops of lemon essential oil. Once it's all combined put it in an airtight container until you're ready to use it. I like to use this before shaving my legs. The lemon oil has a brightening effect and it's also really refreshing. Your skin will be so silky smooth and the oil moisturizes as well.

There are many variations of this. I have heard of people using salt or baking soda instead of sugar and using different oils like olive, sesame, grapeseed, almond, jojoba, etc. There are literally thousands of variations. I think that's why this is my favorite.

I hope I've inspired you to try these and play around with the formulas to create your own to suit your needs!! Be creative and have fun! What are some of your favorite natural products and combinations?



No comments:

Post a Comment