Monday, January 4, 2016

Homemade granny smith applesauce

Happy Monday friends!
Welcome back! I'm so excited about this post because I'm sharing one of my family's favorites. Brad is die hard for applesauce and absolutely loves granny smith apples. He refuses to eat apple pie unless it's made with granny smiths. Of course it didn't take much for me to realize that I could just use them to make a tart applesauce for him that he would love and amazingly, so do my boys. All three of them! Let's just jump right in!
First I grabbed about 10 lbs. of granny smith apples and washed them. I left the skins on this batch but I usually peel them.

I have this handy little slicer that I absolutely love. It saves so much time and makes this process go by so fast and easy. I just leave them in slices like this but you can cut it into chunks if you prefer.
Now just throw all the apples into a pot with just enough water to come up to halfway. If you like chunkier applesauce I would recommend only filling the water up a quarter of the way.

Cover with a lid and cook on medium-high until the apples can be easily pierced with a fork, about 7 minutes. You can also add a tablespoon of butter to it if you want. I have done that once and it was insanely delicious!

Now just get out your blender and throw the whole kit and kaboodle in and puree until you have the consistency you want. My family likes it perfectly smooth so I puree completely.

Once you have the right consistency serve it up with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar and you're all set. This is fantastic over vanilla ice cream also!

As you can see, I just used the same method I use when I make apples for Donavan's homemade baby food.  Using this blender, the applesauce comes out so smooth and is so velvety!
Now IF you have leftovers just cover it up and place it in the fridge. It should keep for aboout a week.
What are some of your favorite tried and true snacks that you and your family enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment